Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gettin my education on...sorta

Every day seems to be packed with even more adventures!


So after my first day of classes I had my Tuesday free until 5:30 PM when I had my only class for that day. I had heard of a free tour in Madrid so my friend Kristely and I went to check it out. It was to start at 3pm, and I figured I should have plenty of time to arrive to my class on-time.


The tour was absolutely amazing! Anybody who visits me in Madrid, I will take you on this tour. I learned so many cool interesting facts about the city and went to places that I would not have otherwise known about. Our tour guide was so smart and entertaining and time flew by so fast!


A view of Plaza Mayor where our tour began


Fighting crime with Spider Man in Plaza Mayor


Oldest running restaurant on earth from the 1700s. There's a plaque from Guinness World Records in there.


Looking pretty happy for standing in front of that bridge which was Madrid's most popular suicide site!



Madrid's old city hall that was built when the Hapsburgs were in power-hence the Austrian architecture.

Me in front of this gorgeous cathedral in Madrid. Directly opposite it and to my right in the picture sits the royal palace. 


So the tour was so wonderful and I was learning so much that I figured it would be ok if I was late to my first Spanish Cinema class, which I was. Here's a photo of my school! (It's pink).



The next day I had another very long break between classes so instead of going home I had my senora pack me a lunch and Kristely and I went shopping in the area around my school. I figured since there were so many independently owned shops that it would be pricy but I was wrong! I got some really nice things for quite cheap, possibly cheaper than the big chain stores. It could be due to the rebajas (sales) that are going on right now, but I was a happy customer. That night I went out for a few drinks with friends since I didn't have class the next day. Nothing like a huge mug of sangria for a euro!

The next day (this afternoon) I met Kristely at Plaza Mayor to go on the Tapas Experience-and the guide was the same guide that we had on the free tour as it was in the same company. We had a great time trying sangria and tapas at 4 different bars. And yes-the sangria tastes different everywhere you go because everywhere adds their own special ingredients. I also tried some pretty interesting foods...

Churros with pure melted chocolate. DELICIOUS


I'm sure no one would guess what this is, so I'll just tell you. Bull's tail with chocolate! I actually tried it and it's super delicious!

That's about it! Tomorrow morning I'm headed to Toledo--can't wait.

Ciao! 




2 comments:

  1. teehee love it

    "Looking pretty happy for standing in front of that bridge which was Madrid's most popular suicide site!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should send some bulls tail home for your Mom to enjoy--ha!! Sounds great....

    ReplyDelete